Friday 11 November 2011

The Beginning of a Journey

This is my first post and I thought I would share with you my design like and dislikes and my personal journey with my own work!  I love reading all you other design bloggers out there and am constantly inspired by the projects and pieces of others.

So who am I?  Well I am a 4 year old country bumpkin at heart, but a 24 year old city girl now who loves doodling and designing.  I work for Ideal World TV as an Assistant Producer.  I have been a freelance Illustrator since I left University and now I am about to embark upon a huge journey of starting my own wedding stationery company.  Any bits of advice would be more than welcome!

I have just started creating my company website which is coming along nicely.  I didn't actually realise how hard it is to make a website.  It took me an hour to figure out how to make corners rounded the other day! I have got the basics done but can't go any further until I have designed my products.


So.  About 3 weeks ago I pulled up Photoshop and my archives of images and fonts and began to create.   I have 3 definite themes so far.  I will put photos up when I have a working sample.  I have gone with  gold/lemon stripes for my first design.  Black damask, art deco style with dark pink ribbon for the second and the third is Black and white spotted with vintage lace.  In fact, I do have a fourth which is very whimsical with birds and feathers as a theme, but I don't like it yet.  It needs a lot of work.

So I have stuck with the first three themes and produced my invitation designs.  In the last few days I have started to create the ranges by adding place card designs, menus and table numbers.

I have recently designed a logo/crest for my sisters wedding stationery:
This will be appearing at the top of her invites and at the bottom of all the rest of the stationery.

She is getting married January 21st and I could NOT be more excited about the whole thing!  Her theme is Vintage cream and lace.  She is having gold bridesmaid dresses with cream fur capes which will look stunning in the winter.  At the moment she seems to have kept up to date with her checklist which is good.  She is at home gluing cases together for the invites as we speak.  Choosing the glue seemed more of a task to her than choosing the card and paper!  I think she must have tried at least 3 before asking me which I would recommend.  I have to say go with Collall.  It is water resistant gel which dries clear, is easy to apply and items can be repositioned easily whilst drying:


I don't know about anybody else but I'm loving Kirsties Handmade Britain at the moment by the way!

Well I think that will do for my first post into this blogging world.  Sending love to all your designers and crafters out there! Feel free to contact me.  I would love to hear about some of your projects and thoughts.


x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment